Friday, May 27, 2011

Iron Chef Sewing: Shorts


I guess I do sewing like I do cooking - give me a secret ingredient, and I'll make something based on that ingredient. I let the materials at hand tell me what they want to be, and today I went into the sewing room without any plan or inspiration.

I happened to look at my box of wood block stamps, and thought I haven't used those in a while, so there you go. The shorts are made from scrap pieces of cotton broadcloth, and the ink colors are what I happened to have on hand. The shorts pattern is your basic, very simple two-piece with a casing at the top for drawstring.

So I went with a bright orange paint for the elephant motif, on the brown shorts, and a bright red with the peacock motif on the blue shorts. I want to make more:)

BTW, shorts are a great way to use up scraps of fabric. You only need about 1 1/4 yards.

The wood block stamps are from India - I received some as gifts, and found others on eBay-kistan. They don't make really good impressions, so the result is very rustic and folky.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...