Thursday, May 01, 2008

Advice to new grads

After graduating from college umpteen years ago, I somehow managed to find a successful career. It's had itse ups and downs, but I can safely say that I'm happy with it now. I make enough money to keep a roof over my head and pay for my hobbies and indulgences. I get enough time off and flexibility with my schedule to have a life outside of work. How did I get there? Well, I didn't realize it at the time, but I was following the advice in this article, on Get Rich Slowly. http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2008/05/01/life-after-school-advice-for-new-graduates/

Some Excerpts:

"Treat your time as an investment. It’s more important to invest your time wisely than to invest your money wisely."

"The people you work with are more important than the company. You want to work with people who have high integrity, people you can trust. It’s nice to work for a great company, but it’s better to work with great people."

"What you studied in school does not matter. Students should major in subjects they enjoy. They should pursue learning. One of Ron’s colleagues is a brilliant lawyer who has a degree in music. He knows a judge with a degree in pharmacology. Your degree does not matter."

"Self-discipline is the common denominator among the successful. In order to get into college and to earn a degree, one must exercise delayed gratification. This doesn’t end after school. Delayed gratification and self-discipline are necessary for continued success in life."

"Be willing to do grunt work. By doing the entry-level jobs, you’re building skills necessary to move up. As you progress in your career, find things in each job to be passionate about."

"It’s more important to be happy than it is to be rich."

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...