Wednesday, April 23, 2003

What's Going On...


My neck feels much better, thank you. I still have to address the ergonomic issues with the office furniture, though. It is going to be a slow and tedious process, I'm sure. So far, I haven't gotten anything by directly asking for it. I always have to find some surreptitious way. I'm getting a new printer, not because I asked for it, but because other people were complaining that I clog up the shared printer too much. I guess I have to be more annoying and get on more people's nerves to get what I want. Anyway...

This Weekend...


I'm going to Blackstone Raids, hoping for a relaxing time. It is usually a low-key event and small compared to Aethelmearc War Practice and Pennsic (these are the three major events that we go to each year). There will be merchants, A&S, classes, and fighting. Some of Khafif will be there, but I'm not sure all who. It will not be our entire group. I'm bringing the fiddle anyway just in case.

Speaking of Fiddles...


I'm still shopping for another instrument. I watched auctions all week on eBay. I cannot believe the prices that some violins go for. I specifically looked for old, not necessarily antique violins, preferably of European make, not too beat up. I watched some go for less than $100, even less than $50, while others shot through the roof at $1k, $2k, etc. with nothing really to distinguish them. Maybe they had a label with a famous name or something. I started looking at electric violins, too. I didn't see any particularly good deals on eBay. Searched the 'net and found some wonderful makers that I can't afford. Also found this cool site: www.fiddlechicks.com, devoted to women who play electric violins. Decided that I needed to take lessons again...speaking of which, I had a jam session with my bro, who is quite a talented musician. I wanted to see if I could make the violin sound like a wailing electric guitar. It does! When plugged into an amp with distortion on. He tried to teach me about chords (being a violinist of orchestral background, this is a foreign concept) and I think it's starting to sink in. I am re-reading a music theory book I have and it's starting to make more sense. This is all good. I may need to start an ethereal-goth-metal band at some point.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...