Sunday, July 07, 2013

Another Turkish coat

The Pennsic sewing continues. I'll just keep making stuff until time runs out. And my stash is far from running out. Husband doesn't have that much garb and he requested more ottoman Turkish stuff.

This is another men's kaftan, with too-long sleeves that can be worn scrunched up, or just hanging back without putting your arms into them. Once again, I used the pattern from

Saturday, July 06, 2013

Westmoreland Arts Fest 2013

Shane Speal - cigar-box guitar maker/playerIt was a beautiful day at the Twin LakesCeltic band Seven NationsCeltic Band Seven NationsFire-brick oven pizzaMobile pizza oven
Creepy planterParrotColorful birdsPetting zoo turkeySearch and rescue dachshundSearch and rescue dachshund
llamasllamasClassic carClassic carClassic car

Westmoreland Arts Fest 2013, a set on Flickr.

Poof! You're an Afghani nomad dress

Most of the time spent was sewing the trim and buttons on, otherwise this was an easy pattern to use and clever way to use some stuff from my stash that I sat on for a long time.

Thursday, July 04, 2013

Next Project: Afghani Nomad Dress

I sat on this Folkwear Pattern for a long time. The fabrics I chose are mostly silk dupioni - some big pieces left over from making Japanese garb, but not enough to do more, so this pattern works out nicely. I'm also recycling mustard yellow linen tunic that has holes in it (I'll work around the holes). There's a piece of fancy Calontir trim there, and I'm still trying to scrounge up more. The rickrack and buttons are from an old thrift shop sewing box. All this stuff was in my stash.

I'm going to start with the pieces that will get embellished - the bodice and sleeves. The Afghanis tend to use buttons more often than shisha mirrors, so I'm covered there. I just don't do embroidery, so I'll have to improvise. I might do something creative with the rickrack.

Getting ready for Pennsic: medieval fashion accessories

I made this hood last year, based on the pattern in The Tudor Tailor book, to go with an early Tudor gown, and I just got it out to tweak it a bit before Pennsic. There are several layers, precariously pinned together.
I also got out the curling iron to reshape my Elizabethan ruff. It was very droopy, but a little starch and it's springy again.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...